Secrets of Melbourne
- 5/5 Stars Based on 400+ Reviews
A comprehensive look at Melbourne's history, architecture, hidden hideaways and more.
Coffee & Beer Included
Guaranteed small group
- Guaranteed small group — maximum 12 people
- Cancel up to 24 hours prior to departure for a full refund
- Satisfaction guaranteed or your money back
- Rated #1 on TripAdvisor
- Guaranteed small group experience of fewer than 12 people
- Friendly local guide
- Sip coffee at one of Melbourne’s best cafes
- Toast over a beer (or cider/soda) at one of Melbourne’s best pubs
- Learn how Melbourne became a city through key moments over the last 175 years
Complete Melbourne Walking Tour Summary
Join an experienced local guide on a small group Melbourne walking tour as they show you what makes them so passionate about the city they call home. Explore the rich history of Melbourne, through its lavish buildings, intricate laneways and diverse architecture. Take in the ever-changing street art and learn of its unique community.
Your guide will entertain you with stories of Melbourne’s humble beginnings to the Gold Rush era that changed everything. Explore Chinatown and discover Melbourne’s multicultural edge. Hear us brag about the Melbourne cafe scene and then deliver the goods, as we buy you a famous Melbourne coffee! Finish up like a “fair dinkum” Aussie – at a pub of course! Let your guide grab you a cold beer (or soda/cider) and take questions and give advice on other Melbourne highlights.
Complete Melbourne Walking Tour Full Description
Our experienced local guide will be there to greet you at Gordon Reserve, the perfect place to start amongst eye-catching buildings. You’ll receive a brief introduction before kicking off your Melbourne walking tour by learning about the beginnings of the city. Learn of the population booms of Melbourne – and how those very immigrants shaped the city.
The exact schedule depends on the day and the guide, but you can expect to see and learn about a selection of the following:
Gold Rush Architecture + History: Discover how Melbourne became the richest city in the world as you walk amongst Gold Rush era architectural masterpieces. Your guide will reveal how the Gold Rush started and why it changed the city forever.
Melbourne Laneways + Street Art: Visitors to the city say this is their favourite thing about Melbourne. Traverse in and out of Melbourne’s intricate laneways and gaze upon the ever-changing street art. Find the hidden bars and laneways that even Melburnians don’t know about.
Melbourne Arcades: Walk through some of the oldest arcades in Australia to get a glimpse of how Melburnians used to live and shop (and still do if you’re after a $400 candle holder!). Arcades were a showpiece of Marvellous Melbourne and thus its high-end architecture is something not to be missed!
Chinatown: Visit Melbourne’s Chinatown, one of the oldest in the world. We will tell you the restaurants to come back to after the tour!
Melbourne Coffee: We won’t just tell you about how our coffee is the best in the world, we’ll give you the chance to try one yourself as we visit one of Melbourne’s best cafés! As you’re sipping on a “flat white” or “long black” we’ll tell you how Melbourne’s Coffee Culture became the envy of the world.
Old Melbourne Gaol: After passing all our regular stops we will then go directly to jail! However, it is now a university, some would say that’s not much different! Here we will recount the story of one of Melbourne’s most famous sons, Ned Kelly, in vivid storytelling. Hear how a common criminal became the complex legend that he is today!
Friendly, Experienced Guide
Coffee/tea and beer included
Guaranteed small group size
Your tour begins at Gordon Reserve (74-108 Spring St) – this is a park with a fountain and is located between the Parliament and Old Treasury Buildings.
What To Bring on Your Complete Melbourne Walking Tour
- Weather-Appropriate Clothing: Melbourne is known for having four seasons in one day, please come prepared
- Your Camera: If you’d like to take photos and make memories all over our amazing city – which we highly recommend!
- Water – It would be a good idea to bring a water bottle with you on the tour, especially on warmer days.
- Comfortable Shoes/Clothing: It’s called a walking tour for a reason! Make sure you wear comfortable clothing and shoes, in preparation to be on your feet for a few hours.
- Sun Protection: We recommend putting on sunscreen and bringing sunglasses and a hat to stay protected and comfortable
- Reusable cup: (optional) We sit at a cafe for a coffee, but if you like to savour your drink over an hour, do as the locals do and bring a sustainable cup to take it away. We like Melbourne local brands Retainr and KeepCup
Complete Melbourne Walking Tour FAQs
Plan for three hours. We finish the walking part of the tour around 2.5 hours in, then settle in for a drink (included) at a local pub.
Dress like you’re going to be outside at for 3 hours. Comfortable walking shoes are a must!
Expect about 3km of walking on this tour
View All FAQs
We cap our group size at 12 people to ensure each person has the chance to have a personal experience with the tour guide and one another.